The email gateway to SMS is as the phrase suggests, a port which allows anyone to send a message to a mobile phone through their email account
Companies like text message tools allows you to send text messages via any email client, whether it’s Yahoo, Google, AOL or any other, and to any cell phone carrier, whether it is Sprint, Verizon, T-mobile, ATT and any other.
- This is because it is sometimes more convenient to forward an email, rather than typing something you already have in an email (note it has to be no more than 160 characters)
- It is cheaper to send text messages online if you don’t have an unlimited text plan, and you want to keep within your cell phone plan’s quota
- Companies may conveniently use it to send bulk text to staff for quick updates in the Bcc or CC fields of their email, rather than typing each text for each staff on their phone. This would be really time consuming and it’s known as bulk texting
- Companies may use it for text marketing, again in bulk to save time and money on advertising
- It can be two-directional, as in being able to conveniently sending text to emails or vice verse
- And plenty more reasons
Why Is Free Email Gateway To SMS Available In The US And Canada?
Good question. US and Canadian cell phone service providers have cleared email gateways to get easier access to linking with SMS and also for lower bandwidths.
It’s also a matter of keeping in line with the competition. If one cell phone carrier is willing to open up their gateways, why wouldn’t others follow? In their eyes, they see this as a value-added service to offer to customers, as SMS from cell phones will always be a staple and first choice, despite this free service. Essentially cell phone providers are allowing their customers another option to make two-way communications.